Table of Contents
If you want to do strength training at home, it makes sense to have the right gym equipment for the job. A weight bench might be a good choice for people seeking the right in-home training equipment. This guide will help you find the best weight benches for home gym.
What Are the Advantages of a Weight Bench?
If you’re serious about strength training, a weight bench will offer a designated area in your home gym to use for weightlifting and practice exercises. It’s a fundamental addition to any home gym, and one that’s simple to use yet enables you to accomplish so much.
You might be wondering why you need a weight bench in your life. A weight bench might be ideal for you if you wish to focus on upper body lifts. Aside from building up your upper body muscles, here are some other advantages:
You’ll Increase Your Upper Body Push Strength
Irrespective of your exercise goals, one undeniable fact about weight benches is how they help you increase your upper body push strength. In a nutshell, the more you use a weight bench, the more weight you can shoulder, push and press.
You’ll Have Increased Bone Health
Your Joints Will Be Better Maintained
As you age, the cartilage between your joints starts to wear down. Cartilage is like a nutrient-soaked sponge, and those old nutrients must be released regularly to maintain joint health and get replaced with fresh new nutrients.
Exercise is the best way for that process to happen. Apart from the aging process, a lack of motion can cause cartilage deterioration. A weight bench is an excellent way to help you maintain your joint health.
What to Look for in a Weight Bench?
One thing you’ll notice is how factors such as quality, durability, usability, and price vary significantly between gym equipment. You could buy two seemingly identical products and find that one doesn’t perform as well as the other.
When you start shortlisting weight benches and narrow down your choices, you must first think about the user experience you want your ideal weight bench to offer.
How do you intend to use it? Does it need to be a sturdy platform for full-body workouts, or do you only wish your weight bench to aid your weightlifting exercises? One thing you may have noticed is how weight benches come in various configurations.
It’s crucial to select the one that will best meet your exercise goals. Here’s what to look for in a weight bench:
Arguably the top factor when looking at weight benches is performance. As you exercise, you will gain muscle mass and ultimately weigh more. Each weight bench on the market will have a maximum weight rating; I recommend choosing one that supports 600 to 800 lbs.
Flat weight benches are at the cheaper end of the market, but their downside is they offer no adjustability. The best weight benches for home gym users is one that gives you flexibility so you can workout in several different positions.
If a weight bench is made of low-quality materials, it’s unlikely to stand up to regular use. It makes no difference whether you’re new to weight benches or have experience of using them. The one you buy should be strong and rigid, and able to cope with your weight.
Comfort and Safety
Any weight bench that you use must allow you to rest comfortably on it. It should also be safe to use, especially when you’re working out with heavy weights during intense cardio exercises.
The last thing you want to do is buy a weight bench that takes up most of your home gym space. Measure the available space in your home gym area, and keep in mind the weight benches measurements that interest you the most.
Lastly, it would be best if you considered the cost of the weight bench you want to get. It’s essential to choose one that offers the best value for money without compromising quality, comfort, or safety.
Which Weight Bench Is Right for You?
An adjustable weight bench is by far the most flexible option for accomplishing your upper body strength exercise goals. That’s because they offer adjustments to cater for different workouts, seat positions, and back positions.
Some weight benches are labeled as “all-in-one” products and let you also build up muscles in your abdominal region and legs. Such weight benches have a higher price point, but the trade-off is versatility.
I’ve reviewed the top five best weight benches for home gym use that takes into account those two weight bench types:
#1 FLYBIRD Adjustable Weight Bench
The FLYBIRD Adjustable Weight Bench boasts a triangular steel construction designed with both novice and professional users in mind. It offers a variety of adjustable positions so you can perform a full-body workout with up to 10 different exercises.
- Leather seat and backrest. The FLYBIRD Adjustable Weight Bench is easy to clean thanks to the soft leather coverings, and it features up to two inches of foam padding for enhanced comfort;
- Quick assembly. It takes just three minutes to assemble the weight bench when you first get it and only 30 seconds to open it up from its folded assembled state;
- It saves space when not in use. You can fold the FLYBIRD Adjustable Weight Bench to have extra space in your home gym when you’re not using it;
- Multiple adjustments. It has seven backrest positions ranging from 95 degrees to 215 degrees and three seat positions.
- A generous maximum height and weight capacity. The maximum rated weight for the FLYBIRD Adjustable Weight Bench is 620 lbs, and it’s suitable for users up to 6ft 2in tall.
- You might find it too light for your liking. The FLYBIRD Adjustable Weight Bench only weighs 26 lbs, and it may feel like it’s about to tip over if you don’t use it on level ground;
- It’s taller than most other weight benches. The majority of weight benches are around 17 inches off the ground, whereas this one is 21 inches.
#2 Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench
The Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench has a powder-coated steel construction with a safe working weight capacity of 800 lbs. The current version also features an upgraded wider backrest and seat for extra comfort and support.
- Twelve adjustable positions. The front leg has two adjustable positions, doubling the number of backrest angles to 12;
- Stable and sturdy construction. The Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench weighs 35 lbs and doesn’t feel like it’s going to buckle or have mental fatigue;
- Tool-free assembly. You don’t need any tools to assemble the weight bench, and assembly only takes around five to ten minutes in total;
- No wobbling. The Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench feels sturdy when weightlifting or doing other exercises;
- Bluetooth app tracking. Buyers of the Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench can enjoy the use of MyCloudFitness, a free app that offers basic workout tracking and activity reports.
- The vinyl can feel slippery. It would help if you dug your glutes into the seat; otherwise, you might feel like you’re about to slide;
- The footpeg padding isn’t very thick. You can easily substitute it with black foam pipe insulation.
#3 PASYOU Adjustable Weight Bench
The PASYOU Adjustable Weight Bench features an ergonomic and robust design and only takes a mere two minutes to assemble from the box. If you’re someone with low or moderate weight, this might be the ideal weight bench for you.
- Seven adjustment positions. It can accommodate various workouts such as abdominal curls, reverse curls, and shoulder and arm workouts;
- Non-slip material. The weight bench is made of PU leather, and the leg brace features a foam cover to enhance comfort and safety;
- Ideal for most home gym users. The weight bench has a 500 lbs weight limit and a maximum height of 6ft;
- It folds up to a compact size. You can slide the weight bench under your bed when it’s not in use as it folds flat. The folded size is just 55×15.75×20 inches;
- High-density foam padding. Workouts feel comfortable due to the generous foam padding inside the PU leather seat and backrest.
- Not as sturdy as other weight benches. This might not be an ideal product for you if you intend on lifting a lot of heavyweights;
- Slight wiggling in an incline position. The pivot point on the PASYOU Adjustable Weight Bench is held in place with a push pin.
#4 Finer Form Multi-Functional Weight Bench
If you want an all-in-one weight bench, you might prefer the Finer Form Multi-Functional Weight Bench. It’s a lightweight product that doesn’t compromise durability or stability and boasts many adjustment settings.
- It’s more than just a weight bench. The Finer Form Multi-Functional Weight Bench can also get used as a sit-up bench or even a Roman chair. This means you can work your hamstrings, glutes, and other specific exercises;
- Fully adjustable settings. It features one flat and two decline bench settings, along with four-foot adjustments;
- Eight thigh support cushions. Hyperextensions, sit-ups, and other similar workouts feel comfortable with the Finer Form Multi-Functional Weight Bench;
- It comes with a digital workout chart. If you’re new to using weight benches, the digital workout chart included with the Finer Form Multi-Functional Weight Bench can help you get started with your workouts.
- It has a low weight capacity. The Finer Form Multi-Functional Weight Bench has a 660 lbs static weight capacity. However, it is only rated for a dynamic weight capacity of 400 lbs;
- The material odors can be overpowering. Most of the smell subsides after a few days;
- You can’t fold it away. Unlike the other weight benches, the Finer Form Multi-Functional Weight Bench must get disassembled if you wish to store it away.
#5 RitFit Adjustable / Foldable Utility Weight Bench
The RitFit Adjustable / Foldable Utility Weight Bench might be right for your needs if you want a compact weight bench that offers versatile positions.
- Thick foam padding. The RitFit Adjustable / Foldable Utility Weight Bench incorporates a 5cm thick foam padding for enhanced comfort when doing workouts and weightlifting;
- Various adjustments. The incline and decline positions feature five back positions and four-seat positions, allowing you to tailor your exercises for weightlifting or equipment-free exercises such as curls;
- Solid construction. When the RitFit Adjustable / Foldable Utility Weight Bench is in use, there is no discernible wobbling or wiggling from any of the components. The welds on the steel frame are also clean and robust;
- Assembly is fast and easy. The RitFit Adjustable / Foldable Utility Weight Bench comes mostly assembled, and it comes with the tools necessary to complete the assembly.
- Low maximum weight. The safe weight limit for this weight bench is 400 lbs;
- The seat and backrest can feel slippery. Adjusting the seat can help with this problem when using the weight bench at an incline.
Each of the five weight benches above has its positive and negative points, but there can only be one clear winner. Having reviewed all the features and benefits, the best weight bench, in my opinion, is the FLYBIRD Adjustable Weight Bench .
Firstly, there’s the general construction. It boasts a sturdy triangular steel construction that incorporates a two-inch-thick layer of foam covered by soft leather. You won’t feel like you’re sliding off it as you might with the Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench.
Secondly, it offers a generous safe weight limit of 600 lbs. Others, such as the RitFit Adjustable / Foldable Utility Weight Bench, are only 400 lbs.
And last but not least, it offers the quickest assembly (three minutes) and setup times (30 seconds) out of all the weight benches reviewed here.
Form Me Fit
Please share and tag your friends who you think they’ll like this post. I greatly appreciate your kindness!
Last update on 2021-04-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API