There is a whole lot to like about the CAP Barbell 40-pound adjustable dumbbells that come with a case. First off, is this pair of adjustable dumbbell’s case. The dang thing is sturdy enough to last for many years as you transport your adjustable CAP dumbbells from home to office to hotel and back home again. Next up are the locking collars, which are the spin on and spin-off kind that is super easy to operate even when your hands are especially sweaty. Also, these CAP Barbell adjustable dumbbells have a very nice old school look to them. And finally, the price of these adjustable dumbbells is friendly to everyone’s budget! Yes, even yours!
What Exactly Is The CAP Barbell 40-pound Adjustable Dumbbell Set with Case?
These adjustable dumbbells are made up of a pair of chrome-plated dumbbell handles, four each of 2.5-pound plates, five-pound plates, and spin on collars. They come in a sturdy carrying and storing case.
Great Beginner Set of Adjustable Dumbbells
Due to their rock-bottom price of $64.99 and their relatively low maximum weight of 20 pounds apiece, these CAP adjustable dumbbells are perfect for those who are just getting started with strength training.
Hack to Convert The Adjustable CAP Dumbbells Into Equipment For Advanced Lifters
Though the way this set is sold gives it a maximum combined limit of 40 pounds, you can make them much heavier by merely purchasing some additional weight plates that will easily fit onto to chrome-plated dumbbell handles. With the right plates, you could quickly get each of these adjustable CAP dumbbells to above 100 pounds, which, trust me, is plenty beefy enough for all but the most muscular of us home lifters.
Special Features Of The CAP Barbell 40-pound Adjustable Dumbbell Set
Now, I know what you are probably thinking about the unique features of this so-called old-school-ish pair of adjustable dumbbells, “Special features? What special features? They’re dumbbells; just lift ‘em!”
BUT, make no mistake about it, these inexpensive CAP adjustable dumbbells have some unique features that make them extra-easy to use.
- Handles: they are Comfortable with a capital C! If you have lifted long, you have probably noticed that some dumbbells do not feel right or natural in hand. Some cast iron dumbbell handles are so rough and textured that they hurt your palm and fingers as you lift them. But, do not worry, for these adjustable CAP dumbbells do not do that. These handles are textured just enough to give you a solid grip while being ergonomically designed and oh so comfortable.
- Cast Iron Plates: they are ultra rust resistant having been coated with a smooth protective finish. Other unfinished cast iron plates rust. They rust quickly, and they rust badly.
- Spin On Collars: this type of collar is my favorite. My barbells have them too. Sure, a turn on the collar is not as trendy nor cutting-edge as some of the locking systems found on other adjustable dumbbells are; however, the spinons feel so stable and safe to me!
- Cost: the CAP barbell adjustable dumbbells are very inexpensive.
A Downside Or Three To The CAP Barbell 40-pound Adjustable Dumbbell Set
The fact that there are cons to these directly adjustable dumbbells proves that it is hard to design and produce a perfect pair of adjustable dumbbells. Dang, I bet even the consensus best adjustable dumbbells in the world would have a negative aspect or two. The three downers for the adjustable CAP dumbbell pair are:
- Handle Ends: they can hurt you if you rest the pointy end of the handles on your thigh while they are loaded up. You may accidentally do this when getting ready to do some heavy dumbbell bench presses. My advice; do not do this!
- Changing Weight: these adjustable dumbbells do not adjust quickly. To improve their weights, you must spin off the collars, remove and add weight plates, spin on the collars. While this process is safe, it is relatively slow.
- Weight Plates: the weight plates are round. So, the dumbbells can and do roll when they are loaded up. This may be an issue for you if you have small children in the home.
Is The CAP Barbell 40-pound Adjustable Dumbbell Set with Case Right For You?
The CAP Barbell 40-pound Adjustable Dumbbell Set with Case is the best adjustable dumbbell set for you if you:
- Want a directly adjustable dumbbell set to begin your weight lifting life
- Want a set that can be added to as you get stronger
- Are looking for a bargain
- Appreciate old school lifting
The Practical Details On Ordering These Awesome CAP Barbell 40-pound Adjustable Dumbbell
- Sold By: Amazon. ‘Nuff said, I think. Don’t we all trust Amazon, the largest online retailer on the planet?
- Shipping: Amazon ships it for free to its Prime members. You will receive your dumbbells in about 48 hours after ordering them.
My Final Word On The Adjustable CAP Dumbbells
The very first set of adjustable dumbbells I ever used a couple of decades ago looked and felt just like these CAP dumbbells do. I used them for years and got plenty loud and plenty big just using them, a barbell, and drinking loads of milk. I can recommend these CAP adjustable dumbbells 100%!
Please share and tag your friends who you think they’ll like this post. I greatly appreciate your kindness!
Last update on 2019-12-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API