I know what you are thinking, “Three hundred bucks for one dumbbell? Really? Yeah, right!”
Well, I am here to tell you, “Yes, the Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell (Single) can indeed be the right dumbbell for you. That $289 adjustable SelectTech 1090 dumbbell could very well be the one adjustable dumbbell to rule them all!”
Before I got a chance to lift with this mad adjustable dumbbell, I had a tough time wrapping my head around why anyone would be willing to fork out three big bills for a single dumbbell. But, now that I have worked out with this hugely adjustable dumbbell, I can say it is worth the cost assuming you are going to use it the way it ought to be used.
How One Dumbbell Can Be Better Than Two!
If you have been reading workout mags or around gyms much in the past ten plus years or so you have heard and read all sorts of groovy thought about core strength, functional strength, and balance training. And, there is plenty of good reasons for folks to be talking about these aspects of working out and physical health. After all, although doing the curls for the girls is fine if you are a 17-year-old boy, if you are an adult, you probably want to be healthy and robust and capable of living a fully active life for decade upon decade. The fact that achieving these goals will give you a subtle and fit body is merely the cream in the coffee.
Core Strength: is the strength provided by your back muscles, your abdominal muscles and all the muscles around your pelvis, sides, and hips. The healthier and stronger your core muscles are, the better able you will be able to do all sorts of other great things such as ski, run, jump, throw, swim, climb, and even sit or stand at your desk all day long. Solid core strength equates to:
- Injury prevention.
- A healthy central nervous system.
- A pain-free back.
- An attractive, confident posture
And, doing strength training with a single dumbbell such as this incredible Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell is an ultra effective way to build core strength since lifting with a single side of your body forces your core to adjust and tense up to keep your torso balanced. This means that no matter what lift you are doing with a single dumbbell, even a bench press which has you laying on your back on a bench, the muscles of your core will fire up nearly as much as do the muscles you are targeting! So, pec day becomes an entire upper body day!
Functional Strength: is the strength that we use in daily life and while at work. This is the strength and flexibility we rely on to pick up our children, play fetch with the hound, or perform well at work. I remember many years ago, that although my dad was a semi-competitive powerlifter, he could never help around the house because his body was ALWAYS tight and in recovery mode… My mom could never understand this. So, although my dad was powerful, his strength was not functional.
Conversely, three of my uncles, one grandfather, and loads of cousins were and are tile setters. They work with heavy loads of mud and tile while standing and while on their knees. And, although some of them are not exactly in great shape, they can always call upon their strength to get honey-do jobs done at home, throw a football to us kids, and, of course, to lay tile. The tile setting side of my family is packed full of functional strength, and if you are looking to improve and maintain your quality of life, you need to focus on functional strength too!
Lifting a single dumbbell builds functional strength because real life strength is not the strength you use while using a perfect form with both feet secure on the ground. Functional strength is made when you lift off balance and in odd positions, and this is the lifting that using just one dumbbell and one arm at a time provides!
Balance Training: is right in the wheelhouse of functional strength and core strength. The better your balance is, the stronger your core and operational forces will be just as the more powerful your functional and core muscles are, the better your balance will be. And, trust me, you want to be balanced because when you are:
- You will be better at all sports, which will make them more enjoyable.
- Your central nervous system will be protected and healthy.
- Your core, including your back, will be protected.
- You will be less likely to fall, a significant danger as we age.
- Your posture will be spot-on excellent.
And, single-dumbbell workouts are de facto balance-training workouts for all of the reasons given above!
So, if you are looking for that one piece of workout equipment to make you stronger, strip the fat from your body, while likewise giving you a physically-speaking, a fantastic quality of life by strengthening your core, building your functional strength, and improving your balance, a Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell (Single) is indeed better than a pair of dumbbells, and it is entirely worth the fat price tag!
The Nuts And Bolts Of The Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell (Single)
There are two primary reasons the Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell (Single) is perhaps the best adjustable dumbbell on the market these days. This single adjustable dumbbell offers a wide range of weight settings, being adjustable in five-pound increments from 10 pounds to 90 pounds quickly and easily thanks to the proprietary Bowflex weight-adjusting dial system.
What I Specifically Love About The Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell (Single)
- Heavy: This Bowflex adjustable dumbbell can weigh up to 90 pounds, which is plenty heavy enough for even deadlifts, squats, bench presses, and rows since you will only lift it with a single arm at a time.
- Weight Adjusting: The single Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell’s weight adjusts incredibly fast. No matter how quickly-paced my circuit training is, this perfect adjustable dumbbell keeps up! (Maybe, I need to get faster, eh?)
- Ergonomic Pleasure: The handle of this high-tech adjustable dumbbell feels very good and reliable in my hands. In a word, it feels natural.
- Silent: I do not care if my dumbbell remains silent while I lift. I am a man who likes noise, grunts, messiness when I am working out. However, my wife sure does appreciate the dead-silence provided by this Bowflex adjustable dumbbell, especially when I am lifting in the morning before heading off to work.
- Sexy: In my eyes, this is the most beautiful adjustable dumbbell on the planet. I love the smooth black finish, the red accents, and its sleek profile. Sometimes I like to go into my bedroom and look at it and trace my callused fingertips across its smooth surface.
- Small Footprint: Being just a single dumbbell, this adjustable Bowflex SelectTech 1090 dumbbell has a minimal footprint which makes it perfect for the bedroom gym, the office, or just for keeping it in the car to use when even need be.
- Amazon: I love ordering from the Big A of online retailers. Amazon ships it for free to its Prime members. I received mine in just three days. Oh, and please keep in mind that Amazon is an official Bowflex distributer, so you can be assured you will not end up with a knock-off dumbbell.
- FREE Workout Guide: Sure, there are plenty of free workout plans on YouTube and elsewhere, but still I dig the 100% free “Secrets of the FOur-Step Rep” DVD that came with this best adjustable dumbbell. It teaches more than 30 single-dumbbell exercises.
The Two Potential Cons To The Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell (Single)
If you do not need a 90-pound dumbbell and if you cannot pay $289 for an insane adjustable dumbbell, this is not the strength-training tool for you.
My Final Two Cents On The Single Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell
For those looking for a top-of-the-line adjustable dumbbell that can be both light enough and heavy enough for pretty much any one-dumbbell workout, you will not find a better option than the Bowflex SelectTech 1090 single adjustable dumbbell. Simplify your lifting life and buy your adjustable Bowflex dumbbell now!
Please share and tag your friends who you think they’ll like this post. I greatly appreciate your kindness!
Last update on 2019-12-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API